Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Old Book Debate

Fiction vs Non-Fiction. Does reading non fiction make you seem smarter? Is reading fiction an escape from reality? When someone asks if I like reading fiction or non fiction better, I never know how to answer. Sometimes I’m in the mood to read a non fiction story just to know that the people in the book are real and the story really happened to them. Other times I want to escape into fiction books where the happily ever after is usually hiding in the last few chapters.

I have tons of favorite fiction books and authors, but my most recent favorite non fiction read is Crazy by Pete Earley. This book just sticks with me. The tragedy of loss of options for treating the mentally ill is heartbreaking. The story told from the father’s perspective gives the reader insight on how hard the family’s situation is.

I guess I like non fiction because sometimes there isn’t a happy ending and nothing is really resolved, but the “characters” still have to move forward. It’s a little more real than fiction. However, sometimes after a long day, who wants to curl up with reality? Do you have strong preference for fiction or non fiction books? What do you like and dislike about each?

Current read: Murder by Family by Kent Whitaker

No comments: