Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Watching Books

If I know before seeing a movie that it is based on a book, I usually want to read the book first. I like forming my own vision of the characters and setting. If I see the movie first I go into reading the book with visuals already in place. I also tend to think that most of the time the books are way better than the movies. What do you think?

The first movie I can remember seeing that was based on a book is Little Women. I remember knowing the movie was coming out soon and wanting to finish the book before going to see the movie. Although I enjoyed the movie, I still found myself thinking it just didn’t compare to the book.

I also really don’t like it when the movie does not follow the book. If they change the ending or other important parts I’m less likely to enjoy the movie. The only reason I found one of my favorite authors, Jodi Picoult, is because I watched a movie of one of her books. Lifetime made a movie for The Pact.I remember not liking the movie but seeing how it could be a good book so I went out and bought the book. I loved the book and it was nothing like the movie. I was in fact pretty angry that they didn’t do the book justice.

Picoult also has a book called My Sister’s Keeper, which is being released as a movie this summer. There is a bit of controversy because the director of the movie changed the ending from the book’s ending. I’m still going to go see the movie, but I know a lot of Picoult fans are sharing they will not be seeing the movie. Do you like movies based on books? Does it bother you when important details of the book are changed in the movie version? Would you rather watch the movie and then read the book, or read the book and then watch the movie? What are your favorite books made into movies?

Current read: The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty

No comments: