Thursday, July 2, 2009

Talking About Books

Earlier this year, I spent Memorial Day weekend up in Cleveland visiting family and friends. That Sunday night a group of friends and I went out to a bar to watch the Cavs game. We were sitting around on a holiday weekend eating nachos at the bar watching the game, so naturally we started talking about… books. Yes you read that right, book talk at the bar. I didn’t even bring them up; someone else started talking about needing to create their summer reading list since summer was approaching. Then somehow that led to a much longer discussion on who was reading what lately and what they liked or didn’t like about it.

I love talking about books so I was quite happy with the discussion topic, but it still struck me as odd that in the last place I’d expect to be talking about books, we suddenly were. When you are out with a group of friends do you ask what they are currently reading? What books are making up your summer reading list this year?

Current Read: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
I really love this book! It is a set of essays written on pop culture and a fairly easy light read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similiar experience at a cookout with an assortment of friends (varying widely in age). After learning that I was a librarian the talk turned to books and I was surprised to learn of some great books I had missed! It was great to be the one of the "other side" of the book suggestions. I read "The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time" and LOVED it...after a suggestion from a high school teacher at the cookout.