Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Become a lover of audiobooks

Ah, audiobooks!
The answer to so many of life's difficulties. They are a multi-tasker's dream:
Want to read more but you're stuck an hour a day commuting? Escape to the islands via audiobooks.
Avoiding painting the living room because it's so boring? Lose yourself in a mystery while you slap on the color.
Dread the 8 hour drive to your vacation destination? Share a classic that everyone loves and arrive relaxed.

A good audiobook does everything your bound book of choice will do and more: there's the added dimension of the voice, the perfect narrator to properly pronounce, to take you to the brink, to withhold or add or flavor, simply with an inflection or a pause. And you're caught, you're right on the edge with them. Or you're holding back tears while you walk. Or you stop in mid-stride, you gasp "oh my" or "oh no".

And those of us who are really hooked want to share, we have to share. We call or email or recommend to strangers. Because it's too good to keep to ourselves. Because when you find other devotees, someone who's obsessed with your author, your narrator, you know you've found a kindred spirit. And you have to make sure they've also listened to ...(well, you fill in the blank).

Do you have this affliction? Then share with me. Recommend authors, titles, narrators. You won't like everything I suggest and vice versa but what fun expanding the possibilities! Feed your addiction while on the move. Remember: life doesn't have to come to a halt in order to enjoy a book.

By the way, the Columbus Metropolitan Library system owns thousands of audiobooks. Visit the library and you'll feel like a kid in a candy store!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I have to say... audio books have been a godsend! With all the running around I do after my son and husband, I don't have time to sit dow and actually read a print book all that often. But I listen to audiobooks all the time while I'm cleaning or cooking, and even during the work day from time to time. I don't know what I'd do without them!

Pat said...

I'm with you Rachael. Audiobooks allow the luxury of 'reading' when there is no time to read a print book. I think they also allow me to decompress and slow down between work and home. Finding a new author or narrator is always a treat. For example, I just listened to The Family Man by Elinor Lipman. Looooved it! Must try her other titles.