Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Read On

Since I started working for the library almost four years ago, I never feel like I’m reading enough. Books have always been a big part of my life but during college I never seemed to find the time to read for pleasure. During the school year I was reading only textbooks and then during breaks I never found the time to sit down and enjoy a book. I started working for CML my junior year of college and right away remembered how much I used to love to read.

The first few weeks I worked for the library, I was taking home stacks of books. I was still in school though so I wasn’t reading as quickly as I used to. At some point I came up with a system of keeping a list of all the books that passed in front of me that I wanted to read. I kept this list for many years and then last summer I found out about GoodReads. I’m constantly finding books I want to read, my GoodReads list of “to-read” is usually somewhere around 120. I love this website, it keeps all the books on my list organized and gives me a great place to find new reads. It’s also completely free! All you need is an e mail account, if you don’t have one you can get one through Gmail.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever get through all the books on my “to read” list. I do know I’ll keep trying and keep finding books to read. I just love to read. With the turn of a page you are taken away. Why do you love to read? What kinds of books do you like to read for pleasure?

Current read: Good Grief by Lolly Winston

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love Goodreads! I used to use Shelfari to track my books, but Goodreads is much better.

Amber said...

I've been using LibraryThing to track my books for the last year or so. Besides having the information about my books available, I enjoy the social aspect with other readers.

Penny said...

I use Visual Bookshelf on Facebook. I am not sure if I like it or now. I also keep a list on my blog of things that I have read for the year. I don't really have a list of want to reads. I should start one though.

Anonymous said...

I love Goodreads. I have always wanted to find a way to keep track of all of the books I have read. I read so much (or at least I used to), that I tend to forget some of the things I read. I wish that this would have been around years ago so I could remember a lot of the stuff I have read waaaay back then.

Greyweather said...

I have been using Goodreads for a year or so now and it has been a huge help in keeping track of what I've read and what I look forward to reading.