Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Why am I enjoying this?

Did you ever read a book and think "This isn’t my usual style, why am I enjoying this so much?" So it is with me and J.R. Ward’s Dark Brotherhood series. I am elated to have in my hands the newest title in the series Lover Avenged. For anyone unfamiliar with the series; it’s an urban fantasy series, set in a futuristic time period. The main characters are the Black Dagger Brotherhood, a group of super-strong vampires who defend their race from attack by the Lessening Society. The books are dark, violent, intense, and absolutely compelling. I don’t read this kind of stuff! And yet, I cannot put them down once I start. Each book starts with a vocabulary list and a mock family tree of the Brotherhood. Again, I read for pure entertainment; I don’t read books so detailed that I need a vocabulary to keep everything straight! And yet, J.R. Ward has completely wormed her way onto my bookshelf. Anyone else ever find themselves totally enjoying something completely out of their usual reading comfort zone?

No comments: