Monday, June 29, 2009

Non-fiction That Reads Like Fiction

For the most part I think of myself as a fiction reader - but what I really am is a "good" story reader. Any good story! Give me a riveting, what-happens-next plot and I'm hooked. The following are non-fiction titles that 'read' like fiction. The kind you can't put down. Give these a try:

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
A Trip to the Beach by Melinda Blanchard
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Drinking a Love Story by Caroline Knapp
Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Horatio's Drive by Dayton Duncan
Cruelest Miles by Gay Salisbury
Ice Bound by Jerri Nielsen
Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan
Lucky by Alice Sebold
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger

Do you have favorite non-fiction titles? Please share with us!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Blink is definitely on my list. I raved about it for months after reading it until I realized I was raving about it to the same people.

I'm really enjoying Annie's Ghosts by Steve Luxenberg. It combines the discovery of an aunt no one knew existed with factual information on the mental health system in Michigan.

Tamra said...

Iam currently reading: "Mistress of the Vatican. The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini: The Secret Female Pope", by Eleanor Herman. It is a non-fiction book but reads like fiction. It is full of lots of interesting nuggets of information about the Roman Empire and the early Catholic Church...plus Olimpia Maidalchini was a woman that held her own in an age when men thought they were the only ones capable of holding positions of power.