Friday, June 12, 2009

The Legacy of Indiana Jones

I’ve always been fascinated by archaeology. Most of the blame for that can fall squarely on the broad and handsome shoulders of Indiana Jones. I loved the movies as a child, and when Jurassic Park – both the book and the movie – gained popularity, that only cemented my desire to spend my life in the dirt making fascinating discoveries and running from death cults and rampant dinosaurs.

Obviously, that never happened. We almost never end up in the jobs we think we will, do we? I discovered that I prefer the air-conditioned stacks of a library to the dust and insects and discomfort of an outside job like archaeology. Thanks to writers like Elizabeth Peters and her Amelia Peabody series, however, I can still indulge my interest in all things Egypt while staying out of the sun.

Peters introduces us to Amelia Peabody, an independent and unorthodox British woman in the late 1880s who travels to Egypt and falls in love with pyramids, the country and its people. She also unexpectedly falls in love with an equally unorthodox archaeologist named Radcliffe Emerson. The series follows Amelia and her family through many adventures and misadventures with a dry wit and an engaging style that make for quick, fun reads.

You can meet Amelia in the first book of the series, Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. If you share my interest in Egypt, you might also want to check out the summer-long Egypt in Columbus program.

No comments: